Friday, May 20, 2011

The Strike and Mahalpye

Being an altruistic and idealistic PCT is both a blessing and a curse right now.  First, the curse:

My life right now is both incredibly hectic, and no longer my own.  I thought a few weeks ago that my life was consumed by the wants and needs of the Peace Corps and my homestay family.  Unfortunately, I didn’t know what would come next.  Last Saturday I received my site placement (which I’ll talk about in more detail later).  I was supposed to arrive at my site for my initial visit yesterday morning.  Unfortunately, the government workers had other plans.  Our site visit was cancelled for reasons related to both logistics and safety; both effects of the strike.  PST has been really challenging, and my site visit had become my respite.  For a few days, all I could think was “If I can just make it to Wednesday, I’ll be okay”.  So, needless to say, I wasn’t too happy when the decision was passed along to us that site visit would be delayed.  It may or not make sense.  There is no guarantee that the situation will be any better in a week.

Tonight, President Khama addressed the nation.  Government employees are supposed to get a five percent raise every year.  They haven’t received a raise since 2008, and inflation has quickly made many things that were once affordable no longer so.  The employees initially demanded a 16 percent raise, and planned to strike for 10-14 days.  It’s now been over a month, and the government has offered no more than five percent.  Many reasons were cited for this decision, including the world recession, the tsunami/earthquake in Japan (the second largest buyer of Botswana’s diamonds), and essential programs such as poverty relief.  Honestly, it’s hard to know which side is right in this situation, as media is very limited here and the government pretty much has it monopolized right now (not to mention I’m not sure that I’m allowed to express political opinions).  So, I’ll leave it at this, the strike reached the point where it’s affected the Peace Corps.  My hope is that after the address tonight, things will resolve.  However, if it doesn’t get any better there could be a variety of consequences for us, ranging from further delays to even facing the possibility of being sent home. 

To bring this back to my original point, my experience thus far has been pretty much the opposite of everything I spent time daydreaming about (while looking for lost Fluor boxes).  Don’t worry too much though, as my initial statement suggests…there is another side to this.  And it boils down to this:

PST is essentially the antithesis of Peace Corps service.  Right now life is too hectic.  I never get time to myself, and everything is planned out for me.  But in a few short weeks, everything will change!

I’ve been assigned to a clinic called Xhosa 1 in a township called Mahalapye.  I believe Mahalapye is the sixth largest town in Botswana.  The total population is right under 40,000.  It’s located right between the two largest cities in Botswana, Gaberone and Francistown.  It’s about two hours from each.  As we are one of the only (if not THE only) sections of the Peace Corps actually supported in part by the local government, my house is being provided for by Botswana’s government.  The idea of having my own house is one of the few things getting me through PST.  I honestly never get time to myself right now, but in a few short weeks I’ll have plenty.  I’ll once again be able to read, write, cook, exercise, etc.  Essentially, I’ll have my life back.

This freedom doesn’t only stop at my personal life, it carries over into my professional life as a PCV.  My role in Peace Corps Botswana is what we call a Community Capacity Builder (or CCB).  CCB volunteers are placed in either clinics, social work offices, or they become part of the District Health Team.  CCB volunteers often have the most freedom.  They work in the clinic, but there job also lies within the community.  Personally, I’m planning on trying to start some youth programs in local schools as my secondary project.  I’m fortunate to not only have the opportunity for secondary projects, but I also have a great desire to work in the clinic.  My experience before Botswana was in the clinic, and when I began applying for Peace Corps, that’s what I envisioned myself doing.  Now, nearly a year later, I’m back in Africa about to spend two years of my life working in a clinic.  This is exactly what I envisioned.  A few things are different than I envisioned, but they are pleasant surprises. 

Recently, my life has been frustrating, overwhelming, and sometimes upsetting.  However, I feel fortunate that I have a personality through which I can be sustained by what I envision in my future.  When I think about all of the personal and professional development I’ll undergo over the next few years, I get really excited.  I’ll have so much room to grow intellectually, physically, mentally, and in character.  And honestly, that’s why I’m here.  Don’t get me wrong, I believe in an altruistic side of things, but I don’t see myself as selfless, or any of that nonsense.  I’m going to change and grow in the next few years in ways that I’ll always appreciate, if I can keep my head on straight.  There is so much on my mind right now, but the one word that keeps resonating with me is…

Solitude.



‘Touch of the Sun’-127 Hours Soundtrack

1 comment:

  1. Ok I will send you a copy of Tao Te Ching with these other books.

    ReplyDelete